Thursday, July 20, 2017

ROYA WOLCOTT, OF THE SHIPLEY SCHOOL, IS RED RIDING HOOD AT MEDIA THEATRE

The Media Theatre has Stephen Sondheim’s Tony winning musical “Into The Woods” on stage this summer, now through July 30. The show is being produced as a teen musical experience, in which a youth cast performs along with two local (and slightly older) actors who have had professional or university experience.

Roya Wolcott plays the role of Little Red Riding Hood. “This is very exciting because it is my first lead role! I tried to be myself, as the character, in each situation. When I am backstage, I think about everything that is going to happen in the scene,” the soon-to-be Shipley School fifth grader said. “This is a great play for actors to work together in, as it has very good roles. It’s created a new way to tell familiar stories.”
ROYA WOLCOTT
Roya has been on stage previously at The Media Theatre. “I was in “Fiddler On The Roof” here,” she stated. “My first ever speaking role here was a maid in “Beauty and The Beast”, and then I also played the role of Katie, the bass player, in “School Of Rock”. And I’ve been in a school play, in fourth grade, when we did a show about American history. I was Ellen Moore, who was on The Mayflower.”

“I used to be somewhat shy,” she explained. “But acting has made me more confident. I participate in a lot of school activities and plays. Being involved in theater has given me the courage to speak in front of many people.”

“Everyone should come to see “Into The Woods” because it is a very unique production,” she summed it all up. “What makes it so unique is that instead of choosing on fairytale, it bunches them together in one show.”

For tickets to this summer's "Into The Woods" at The Media Theatre now through July 30 call 610-891-0100 or visit mediatheatre.org. Performances are Friday nights at 7pm, Saturdays at 2pm and 7pm, and Sundays at 3pm. Most roles are double cast, so it's a different cast each weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

MEDIA THEATRE GALA MARCH 28 FEATURES KEVIN REILLY, RAY DIDINGER, ENTERTAINMENT, AND MORE

Eagles tackle-turned-inspirational speaker will emcee Media Theatre’s star-studded Gala March 28! Auction items feature ‘Dinner with Play...