Monday, July 17, 2017

HANNA MURPHY HAS A SECOND HOME AT THE MEDIA THEATRE, WHERE SHE GOES 'INTO THE WOODS'

The Media Theatre has Stephen Sondheim’s Tony winning musical “Into The Woods” on stage this summer, now through July 30. The show is being produced as a teen musical experience, in which a youth cast performs along with two local (and slightly older) actors who have had professional or university experience.

Hanna Murphy plays the role of The Witch. She attends the Academy of Notre Dame de Namur in Villanova and will be in the ninth grade this fall. “This is my 21st show at the Media Theatre. I’ve also been in their summer productions of “Fiddler On The Roof” and “13”, and also the Broadway Series musical “Gypsy”. And, while I’m in “Into The Woods”, I am also playing The March Hare in “Alice In Wonderland”, so it’s a busy summer! At Notre Dame I played Ursula in “The Little Mermaid”, which was fun.”
HANNA MURPHY
“With this musical Sondheim brings together several popular characters that would not otherwise meet each other,” she said. “This isn’t a sugar coated Disney Princess tale of happily ever after. It teaches valuable lessons about family and responsibility.”

“I was excited to learn that I would be playing a role that Bernadette Peters had made famous, The Witch,” she explained. “As I read through the script and studied the music I realized that there were many layers to the Witch's character. Many people think that the Witch is just evil and that there is nothing more to her, but that is not necessarily the case. She wants to be successful and have family that loves her.”

Hanna says audiences should come out to The Media Theatre to see the show. “The production of "Into the Woods" this summer at the Media Theatre is made up of teens who have worked hard to create a show worth seeing. Although serious at times the show is very funny. I'm proud to be a part of this production.”

 “Acting has given me confidence and made me an effective public speaker. I have never been very good at sports and theater has given me something to feel proud of at a time when being a teenager can be rough. The Media Theatre is my second home.”


For tickets to this summer's "Into The Woods" at The Media Theatre now through July 30 call 610-891-0100 or visit mediatheatre.org. Performances are Friday nights at 7pm, Saturdays at 2pm and 7pm, and Sundays at 3pm. Most roles are double cast, so it's a different cast each weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

MEDIA THEATRE GALA MARCH 28 FEATURES KEVIN REILLY, RAY DIDINGER, ENTERTAINMENT, AND MORE

Eagles tackle-turned-inspirational speaker will emcee Media Theatre’s star-studded Gala March 28! Auction items feature ‘Dinner with Play...