THE MEDIA THEATRE'S 'INTO THE WOODS' FEATURES JOSIE INTHAM OF SPRINGTON LAKE MIDDLE SCHOOL

The Media Theatre has Stephen Sondheim’s Tony winning musical “Into The Woods” on stage this summer, now through July 30. The show is being produced as a teen musical experience, in which a youth cast performs along with two local (and slightly older) actors who have had professional or university experience.

Josie InTham plays the role of The Mysterious Person. “ Being a young girl playing an old man is a huge challenge, from the way I talk to the way I walk,” she said. “I'm thrilled to take it on, and I'm approaching it by trying to find what we have in common.”
JOSIE INTHAM
“This will be my very first show at The Media Theatre! I've also played Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz," Amber von Tussle in "Hairspray," Oliver in "Oliver!" and Amaryllis in "The Music Man" at Hedgerow Theatre, as well as Aunt Em in "The Wizard of Oz" at Springton Lake Middle School, where I'll be starting 7th grade this fall,” she said.

Of the show, she said, “"Into the Woods" is more weird and complex than the musicals I'm used to.  It doesn't have the "happily ever after" ending, and I think that makes it more realistic show.  In real life, just because you are a good person, you could still live an awful life, and if you are an awful person, you could still live a great life.  "Into the Woods" captures the realistic part of life.  Stories with the perfect happy ending can be boring.”

“This production has a ton of great actors and singers, and there is an interesting twisty plot.  And if you come on different weekends, you can see a different cast,” she explained, approaching the ‘double cast’ in the production.

“I've loved musical theater since my very first show three years ago, and it's taught me a lot, from being part of a team to public speaking to pulling a project together as part of a team,” Josie said. ”It's also helped me to be a better performer in other contexts, from school presentations to singing or clarinet performances.”

"Into The Woods" is on thru July 30. For tickets, call The Media Theatre at 610-891-0100 or visit mediatheatre.org



Comments