STRATH HAVEN STUDENT ALEXIA ALVAREZ-BUROCK IS 'INTO THE WOODS' AT THE MEDIA THEATRE

The Media Theatre has Stephen Sondheim’s Tony winning musical “Into The Woods” on stage this summer, now through July 30. The show is being produced as a teen musical experience, in which a youth cast performs along with two local (and slightly older) actors who have had professional or university experience.

Alexia Alvarez-Burock plays the role of Lucinda, Cinderella’s stepsister. “I approach the role with the Meisner technique, which I learned about at Media Theatre,” she explained. “It is described as "living truthfully under imaginary circumstances," and I use this idea to react to the actions of other characters realistically as my character would.”
ALEXIA ALVAREZ-BUROCK
“Acting helps me in all aspects of my life,” she said. “It has helped me to grow my confidence and to express myself to others. It has taught me to stay calm under pressure and always be prepared.”

She’s no stranger to the stage. “At The Media Theatre, I’ve been in their summer singing competition which is “The Vocalist”, and I was in “School Of Rock” last year. At Hedgerow Theatre I was in “Hairspray”, “Oliver!”, and “The Little Mermaid”. I’m a sophomore at Strath Haven High School and most recently played the Beggar Woman in our school’s production of “Sweeney Todd”.”

She hopes to see large audiences at “Into The Woods”. “Everyone should see it,” she said. “It’s beautifully written and features a talented youth ensemble. Audiences will be surprised at the level of professionalism- and also seeing shows at The Media Theatre is a great way to support the arts in our region.”

She loves Sondheim’s masterpiece. “Into The Woods reflects the diversity of our American culture. The musical features stories of many different people interacting with each other and shaping each other’s lives. The ‘woods’ represent difficulty, and how everyone goes through hard times. The lesson is that people who work together can achieve great things. Life won’t be perfect, but that is what makes life exciting.”

For tickets to this summer's "Into The Woods" at The Media Theatre now through July 30 call 610-891-0100 or visit mediatheatre.org. Performances are Friday nights at 7pm, Saturdays at 2pm and 7pm, and Sundays at 3pm. Most roles are double cast, so it's a different cast each weekend!







Comments