GIGI FURLAN SAYS ACTING MAKES HER A BETTER PERSON--SHE'S 'INTO THE WOODS' THIS SUMMER AT MEDIA THEATRE

The Media Theatre has Stephen Sondheim’s Tony winning musical “Into The Woods” on stage this summer, now through July 30. The show is being produced as a teen musical experience, in which a youth cast performs along with two local (and slightly older) actors who have had professional or university experience.

Gigi Furlan shares the role of Jack’s mother. “It’s my 11th show at The Media Theatre,” she said. “I was most recently seen here in Romeo & Juliet in the Ensemble, and I also understudied Juliet, which was my first Broadway Series show at the theatre.  Other shows I have been in at Media are “13”, “The Who’s Tommy”, and “School of Rock”, which were all summer productions like “Into The Woods”. I have received training at the theatre’s New School and am now enrolled in the Center for Performing and Fine Arts, entering my junior year of high school.”
GIGI FURLAN
Of Sondheim’s classic, Gigi says, “It is a unique show, with a fairytale like plot and a complex score that combines classic fairytales with their grim counterparts. The distinctive plot is moved forward with its diverse score, ranging from a mixture of ballads and fast paced ensemble pieces. Each contrasting song compliments each other while showing off Sondheim’s wide array of writing styles and unmatchable skill. While a wide assortment of shows have hit Broadway, Sondheim’s works tend to rise above most in dexterity level and other impressive factors that go into making or breaking a show.”

Gigi continues, “I think audiences will be impressed with the show, especially because it was put together in such a short amount of time with such an age diverse cast. It is generally a show played by a cast of well-seasoned and trained adults. This cast has a youth ensemble of actors playing the roles. Into The Woods is one of Sondheim’s most interesting works (they’re all pretty amazing), so when one has the chance to see it live, performed in a beautiful regional theatre, they should take that chance.”

Of her role as Jack’s mother, she explains, “Though it’s a role that is generally out of my age range, I’ve taken the obstacles and started viewing them as interesting challenges that have taught me a lot as I maneuver through them. I know after I get through this run I’ll become a better actor.”

“After my first show here back in the summer of 2015, I started to become more confident in life and on the stage, I had found a new passion. Theatre has helped me set more goals and learn how to deal with an overwhelming busy schedule, dealing with school and other things. Learning lines can be tricky with impending deadlines. I would think it’s changed me as a person, for the better.”

For tickets to this summer's "Into The Woods" at The Media Theatre now through July 30 call 610-891-0100 or visit mediatheatre.org. Performances are Friday nights at 7pm, Saturdays at 2pm and 7pm, and Sundays at 3pm. Most roles are double cast, so it's a different cast each weekend!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts