WHO'S WHO IN FIDDLER ON THE ROOF....HANNA MURPHY IS HODEL

The Media Theatre presents a special presentation of the classic musical "Fiddler On The Roof" this summer to celebrate the show's 50th anniversary. 

It's produced by Media Music Theatre Company and is on stage July 11 through August 10, with performances on Friday nights at 7pm, Saturdays at 2pm and 7pm, and Sundays at 3pm. 

A youth cast shares the stage with several professional adult actors to remind audiences of the brilliance of this wonderful Tony winning Broadway musical. "Fiddler On The Roof" is all about Tevye, a Jewish man in Russia in the early 1900's who is doing his best to keep his family together amidst changing times and while his five daughters are growing up right before his eyes. It's a musical steeped in "Tradition!" 


Hanna Murphy, 11 years old, is playing the role of Hodel, one of Tevye's daughters. Here are her thoughts about being in the production:

  A) What's it like being in one of the most legendary musicals of all time, which is 
            currently celebrating its 50th anniversary?
My grandparents have always talked about this show. I am excited to not only perform in the show for my friends and family but I am working with an amazing cast.
 
       B) What role are you playing and how did you approach it?
 
I am playing the role of Hodel, Tevye’s second oldest daughter. Once I was finished jumping around with excitement when I heard that I got the part I began to research the show. I also focused on understanding the matchmaker process for girls during that era.
                       
       C) What historical significance does this musical have and why is it important?
 
This was a terrible time for the Jewish citizens in Western Russia. They were moved around to live in specific locations. Many fled to Poland and the United States leaving behind most of their possessions. I can’t imagine how I would feel if this happened to my family.
 
       D) Tell us a bit about your past shows, hobbies, hopes and dreams, etc.
 
In the previous years I have been in numerous Media Theatre productions such as Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz. My most recent role was Charlotte in Rumpelstiltskin. I enjoy the theatre and I also participate in travel soccer, lacrosse and swimming. I hope to perform in all of my favorite Broadway shows someday.
 
       E) What do you hope audiences take away from this production?
 
I hope the audience takes away the importance of family relationships and the history that this show represents. I am surrounded by a talented cast. I hope that the show will get the audience excited about the Media Theatre just like I was excited when I came to see Annie several years ago.
 
       F) In your own words, why is the Media Theatre's education program valuable? 
 
The Media Theatre’s education program is valuable because you have you learn great technique. There are acting classes offered for all ages. I have been a part of the New School for two years and we follow the Meisner technique. We learn about dance, singing and acting. I have made some of my best friends at the Media Theatre. The instructors bring out the best in each student.

To see Hanna Murphy and the entire cast of "Fiddler On The Roof" in the production directed by Jesse Cline, the theatre's Artistic Director, call 610-891-0100 or visit www.mediatheatre.org. The show runs thru August 10. 

Comments